Among the 60-plus books I read this year, a few have stood out as new favorites. It’s hard to choose, but I’d have to say my top 5 are as follows:
- Woman At Point Zero – El Saadawi: A short book, but incredibly powerful and thought-provoking, about silence, power, love, and what it means to be free.
- In the Time of the Butterflies – Alvarez: Poetic, dramatic, and well-crafted as well as a moving story about fighting for the right to live freely.
- A Prayer for Owen Meany – Irving: Epic, character-driven, and deals thoughtfully with big questions about life, fate, and faith.
- The Vagrants – Li: A gut-wrenching but beautiful picture of love and humans who feel not only pain but also compassion.
- The Lemon Tree – Tolan: A well-written, well-researched, and singular story about common ground in the Arab/Israeli conflict.
Here’s to a New Year of more great reads! What’s on your top list for 2009?